Serves 6 to 8
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups guava juice (or any available fruit juice)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 6 large ripe plantains, peeled
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- orange zest, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the rum, brown sugar, guava juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and honey. Place the plantains in a small roasting pan, pour the sauce over the top, and dot the tops with the butter. Roast the plantains for about 40 minutes, turning and basting them frequently. Lower the heat to 325°F and roast for another 35 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced and become syrupy and the plantains are soft.
3. Transfer the plantains to a platter and slice on the bias. Pour any sauce remaining in the pan over the top, garnish with orange zest and serve.
Recipes & Images from Caribbean Potluck™ by Suzanne and Michelle Rousseau © 2014 Kyle Books - Photographs by Ellen Silverman