- 2 teaspoons Bird’s custard powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 envelope powdered ginger tea
- 2 teaspoons peeled and grated ginger
- 1 small store-bought rum cake (or 1 pound cake, drizzled with rum), split horizontally into 3 layers
- 1⁄4 cup ortanique or orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 ortaniques or Valencia oranges, in segments
- 1 (14-ounce) can lychees, sliced (liquid reserved)
For the Drunken Whipped Cream
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum
1. Place the custard powder in a small bowl. Warm the coconut milk, heavy cream and sugar in a saucepan, stirring until the sugar melts. Pour the hot cream mixture over the custard powder and whisk until the custard begins to thicken. Add the powdered ginger tea and grated ginger and whisk to combine. Set aside to cool.
2. To make the drunken whipped cream, in the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the cream, sugar and rum until stiff peaks form.
3. To assemble the trifle, place a layer of rum cake at the bottom of a glass bowl, top generously with one-third of the ginger custard, drizzle with ortanique juice and sprinkle with almonds. Add one-third of the ortanique segments and lychees, top with another layer of rum cake, pour over another third of the ginger custard and 1⁄4 cup lychee juice and top with almonds, lychees and oranges. Add the final layer of cake, followed by the remaining third of the custard and juice and topped with the rest of the fruit. Top with the drunken whipped cream and a sprinkle of almonds. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Recipes & Images from Caribbean Potluck™ by Suzanne and Michelle Rousseau © 2014 Kyle Books - Photographs by Ellen Silverman